To add to the ever evolving fun with itching life that I am leading, somehow the medication I am using to treat the poison ivy caused an allergy reaction. I now have hives all over my legs, arms and chest. So if you are keeping score at home... I have been uncomfortable and itching all over - every day - for 4 weeks now!!!
I lose.
But on the other hand the house wins cause the only thing that keeps my mind off of all this is by keeping busy. And since I cannot sleep, that is ALL THE TIME, so I am getting A Lot done.
Mike, Chris, and Tim came over to help move all the furniture out of the next two rooms to get ready for Round 2 of installing the hardwood floors next Friday. Mom and Shell came over to help too, but with all the muscles the rooms were cleared in no time. Wanting to still be helpful they picked up some food for everyone. And since people are felling kinda sorry for me, I get my favorite - Pho Bowl. That is twice in one week! Yes, even Greg agreed to Pho Bowl the other day, he must really be taking pity on me.
That was last week, this week I don't think I will be getting Pho Bowl ever again for the rest of my life; because this morning I found a new distraction. The Laundry Room.
We bought a shelving unit to organize the laundry room - a year ago - and this got under my skin more than the hives. Plus, Wade left all of his tools over here and I want to use them all! All the time. So far my Christmas list is already half full with just things that Wade has that I want.
The shelf that came with the house was embedded into the wall and took half the drywall off when removed. Plus, Wade had to cut a bunch of holes when the pipe broke last year and when he did that we realized that the pipes had no insulation.
Since the thought of that keeps Greg up at night worrying that the pipes are going to freeze, why not pull out the entire wall and see what's going on back there? Between Wade's tools, my insomnia and Benny's help, the wall came down with ease. Ok, I needed a little more than Benny's help, so Greg ever so sweetly came to my aid.
In addition to taking action photos...
A majority of his time was spent in awe at how crappy this house seems to have been built. Once we pulled out the wall, and were able to really see what was going, on our day kept getting longer and longer.
The water damage ruined the insulation causing it to fall to the floor and collect a wee bit of mold. No surprise there is so much water damage - they cut a square out for the dryer vent - which is a circle.
There was so much of a gap, Benny was doing his best to see if it was a secret way outside.
Greg's day that began with a trip to Home Depot for a tiling class at 11am ended with a run to Home Depot for drywall, getting home at 11PM! No wonder Greg was ready to kill me. It didn't help that after buying the drywall we realized there was no way it was getting home in the Cougar. Luckily we have an awesome neighbor, Lindsay, who came to our rescue. She was kind enough to let us attach 75 pounds of drywall to the roof of her car.
While Greg was slightly annoyed with my antics today, I couldn't have loved him more - or so I thought. And then Greg said "Do you think we can also replace the floor?" and my heart did a flip. I was thinking how much I would love to fix the floor too, but didn't want to push my luck. What a nice bonus for my day because to prep the floor I had to take off the shoe mold off the trim, scrape off all the grout, and clean the floor. Greg can sleep until noon tomorrow if he wants after everything today. I alas, will most likely be wishing I was taking the sander to my legs rather than the wall.
All in all - not a complete waste of 20 hours.
Before:
After:
Even with the 20 leftover colors from previous paint jobs, we decided on another color all together - Lime Light. And we haven't committed to that floor option - but it's looking good as of now. Will match both the bathroom color and the laundry room. Chewie likes it.
No comments:
Post a Comment