Sunday, September 13, 2009

Benny Boy

Greg and I have been a bit neglectful in our parenting duties to the kitties - one of the reasons we only subject our skills to 4 legged creatures - that and that I am so immature that typing duties makes me giggle out loud.

We finally took Benny to the vet for a teeth cleaning - who knew that the vet's interpretation of cleaning meant extracting 12 teeth!

I guess if I went to the dentist for the first time at 15 years old I might loose a tooth or two, but twelve? Poor Benny. Interestingly cats have 42 teeth so he is not looking like an old man without his dentures as I feared. See - there are still a few in there.

Of the twelve, 9 were wee little guys that pretty much fell out. The remaining three were considered medium size teeth that required a stitch or two.

One of the reasons we were a bit wary to take him into the clinic in the first place was not knowing how Benny would take such a major visit given his advanced years; so I was freaked out worrying how he would feel. I was quickly relieved when he begged for food immediately upon walking in the door and then proceeded to eat an entire can by himself. Ben loves food so much that he would probably have been fine if he lost all 42.

He gets a bit sleepy in the morning after his antibiotic, but other than that he is doing well. So well he had no problem keeping up with Chewie and Kittie in an all night rampage on the new floors. They woke us up 3-4 times Friday night pounding on the particle board and inspecting every new piece of equipment. Apparently our bed was home territory because they would leap up and strategize about their next adventure. The bed was covered in dusty paw prints.

This should have bugged the crap outta us, but we were so happy that Benny was playing and running around who cares if we wake up a few times, I guess we are not such bad pet owners after all.

Even with all the missing teeth he is still as handsome as ever.

Ignore all the painting supplies that still need to be put away - still have a few touch ups after putting in the floors.

No comments: