To add to my already stressed out life - this donation drive for the families whose homes burnt down is a LOT more work than I originally anticipated. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel and the fact that we raised almost $8,000 for the families makes it worth the work. In addition to money - we also collected clothing, shoes, and household items. People were very generous (or were cleaning out their closets) we collected over 70 boxes and bags of goodies. A good 20 of it went on to the families and they were very thankful. Now I bet you are asking yourself, what happened to the left over boxes - you guessed it... Casa de Fissell. You can just imagine how thrilled Greg is. Who knew it was such an inconvenience for charity organizations to come pick up so much stuff. 95% of which I think they would be grateful to receive - 5% pure crap. (I ask you - who would think to themselves - hum, used underpants, I think I will donate these dirty, disgusting, Used underpants? Actually, I take that back, I am not asking cause I just don't want to know the answer to that question)
This brings me to 50 boxes that will be in our lives for 2 weeks - seriously, there must be an organization out there that is willing to pick these up sooner. Or at least have someone answering the phone that wasn’t forced to do community service as part of their sentence. (Maybe it’s just me, but I would think if you are working at a donation drive and someone calls with a huge donation, you could be a bit nicer than the person I had the pleasure of speaking with yesterday.) Delightful people aside, I did find a way to organize the boxes so that they are not a huge inconvenience AND Greg can still park in the garage.
Since I knew my dad would be proud of his little girl - here's a picture of the boxes in the garage and the few that spilled over into the family room. I do love a good logistical puzzle.