I have become a little obsessed with The Hunger Games book trilogy. I even have a cute story about buying the books. I think it’s a cute story at least, that isn’t the word Greg would use. J Anyway, I devoured the books and then asked Greg for the audio book to listen to during my commute to work.
The story is about a girl named Katniss and how she becomes part of a survival game to amuse the Capital citizens and keep the Districts from rebelling. Nothing at all that would interest me, but once I started, I couldn’t put the books down.
Throughout the story Katniss recalls memories of her father. He was killed in a coal mining accident when she was young. In one scene she is describing what it is like for a miner to die trapped. The description was so similar to the effects cancer had on Dad; it was a bit hard to read. But what she recalls most about her father is the good things and it was the sweetness of the relationship I could relate to most. How even now when he is gone, she still feels him watching over her and how the memories of happy times with him can make painful times now more bearable.
Today I woke up late and in my haste to get out the door in time, what day it was barely registered, let alone the date. Greg leaves before me and this morning he left the TV on and a plate of eggs and as I was shoveling in the eggs a few things happened at once. I notice I had a couple of text messages. When I flipped open my phone, I realized they were from Tim and Shell. The reality that today is Dad’s birthday brought me to a stop. I sat down and when I looked up the TV was going from a commercial into the news and it was all about the rescue of the Chilean miners. I just sat there and cried and thought, what a nice thing to happen on Dad’s birthday; 33 families will be able to do what we can no longer do – hug their father.
I miss my father, miss his hugs and his humor, how he loved to spoil his family, the car rides and the dinners on the deck. I will miss coming to him for advice, watching the game with him, then looking over and him being sound asleep -- then turning up the TV over his snoring. :) I miss how he would never say no to food – especially dessert. I miss how he would reach out and hold my hand whenever he could. I miss sharing with him the latest project at the house and his ‘help’ and his never ending support. I miss making him proud and making him laugh. The list can go on and on – but it’s because I miss so much, that I know how lucky I was – how lucky I am to have such wonderful memories of the greatest Dad in the world.
Happy Birthday Dad.
I Lub You!
I Lub You!
No comments:
Post a Comment